Jun 29, 2008

Back in the Saddle

First off, I want to thank those of you who have kept an eye on this blog even though it has not been updated in quite a while. Rest assured if/when the scooter dies or I dispose of it, I will post an epilogue.

In October, shortly after my last post, I was riding with my brother. About a mile from his house, the scooter suddenly died. I pulled over & found that I could restart it, but the engine stalled when given any throttle at all. So I pushed the bike to my brother's house and went over there a few evenings to try to diagnose the problem. Being unsuccessful and a little frustrated. I put the scooter in the back of a pick-up and brought it home. At first I thought perhaps the CVT belt broke or the clutch seized up, so I removed the CVT cover to inspect things. Everything looked fine. My brother suggested it was an ignition problem, but I didn't think it was. But the only way I could be sure was to replaced the suspect parts with new ones. And since these parts are relatively in expensive, I placed my order for a new coil & new CDI with Oregon Vintage Scooters. After promptly receiving my order (thanks Stan!), I installed the new components and voila... nothin'. No change. So I continued to look for a cause. At this point I have been suspecting the carburetor, but I can't prove it. The carb is also one of the most expensive parts to replace.

Meanwhile, I had been thinking about getting a new motorcycle. In November I stumbled across a great deal on a very slightly used, one year old Sportster. It was a deal I couldn't refuse, so I didn't. What little nice weather was left in November I spent riding the Sporty. Then I put all bikes away for the winter.

When spring returned I was itching to put some miles on the Sportster, so I did. To be honest, any time the weather was nice I chose to ride rather than spend time in the garage. I worked on diagnosing the scooters problem a little bit here and there. I tried to eliminate any possibility (except the carb). I inspected the throttle, fuel filters, fuel lines, fuel petcock, vacuum lines, nuts, bolts, fittings. Nothing looked wrong. Finally spring had drawn to a close and summer was upon me and I was getting darn tired of not ridding the scooter to work like I had last year. So I broke down and ordered a new carb (from Oregon Vintage of course). It arrived in only four days (some dealers claim THEY can't get parts that fast). I installed the new carb and... the scooter now runs perfectly.

So, I am back on the scooter again. And just in time with gas at $4.00 a gallon. I will keep this blog updated, even if nothing interesting happens.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Thanks for the update. Everyone is busy this time of year, so it's appreciated.

Are you using an inline fuel filter?
Does your scooter have the vacuum fuel pump?

Thanks for keeping the blog going, it is helpful reading.