May 22, 2007

Speed

People are always asking how fast these small engine Chinese scooters are. Thinking of it in a real world sense, mine is fast enough. It won't win any drag races, but we all know how city traffic moves. People can't seem to find the accelerator, or they are on their cell phones, not paying attention to their driving. So the scooter is easily fast enough from a stand still at a traffic light to out run the vast majority of traffic. Some one needs to be paying attention and intentionally trying in order to out run me at a light. As for top speed, I would like to be able to give definitive information, but I don't think the speedometer can be relied on at all. Sunday I was on a stretch of road where the speed limit is 50mph for about half a mile. I took this oportunity to open her up. With the throttle pegged I saw an indicated 63mph. Real speed? Who knows; I'd guess low 50's. The bike felt stable at that speed, but the cheap front suspension felt jittery. I did not buy the bike to operate at these speeds regularly, so I am satisfied with it's performance.

No comments: