Jan 4, 2007

Finished


Got 'er all put together today and rode home. Finally assembly went fairly smoothly and included the handle bars, horn bracket, front cowl or "fairing", mirrors, attaching rear shocks, and installing battery. One mounting tab on the cowl was broken off and the rear fender was broken. I don't think the fender was broken during assemly but I can't be sure. I know we didn't break the tab. It started easily, but stalled every time. After checking the choke and fuel filter, we adjusted the idle. Then it ran great. On the maiden voyage I found that the ride and handling are great. Biggest surprise yet is acceleration was much better than I expected from 150cc's. It quickly reached an indicated 50mph but I suspect the speedomoter is very optomistic. I did get a jolt one time going over a very large bump. The rear brake works great but the front needs work. I forgot to check the fluid level so maybe that's the problem, otherwise the brake will need to be bled. I hope to get some more riding in over the next day or two, but it is supposed to rain. If the weather does not permit more riding, I will just post some commentary.

1 comment:

punkin said...

I have read some of your blog. Wondering if you have had fuel problem w/your Rakatak? Went on ride (open road 60mph) -no prob. re-fueled then it was like kept bogging down on me and couldnt get over 40mph. Stopped, emptied fuel (thought maybe bad fuel), additive and blew out fuel filter. Got about 2 blocks and it died on me completely!! Finally got going again only to finish off the 150mile ride at 40-45mph. Any suggestions? Thanks much